How to Join
Why should I join the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa?
The National Federation of the Blind of Iowa can help you:
- Find hope and move forward after vision loss.
- Access local and nationwide networks of blind people who can provide information and support about all aspects of living, working, learning, and thriving as a blind person.
- Work with other blind people to change misconceptions about blindness, policies and laws that affect the blind, and the individual lives of people who are blind or who are losing vision.
- Meet and make friends with blind people who share your profession, hobbies, interests, or goals.
- Learn about and select the right technology for your active and productive life as a blind person.
You’ll also have access to all of the following services and resources:
- The world’s largest audio information service for the blind, NFB-NEWSLINE®, is free to anyone who is legally blind. NFB-NEWSLINE® makes over four hundred newspapers and magazines, as well as TV schedules, localized emergency weather alerts, and job listings, available on demand to blind readers by telephone, online, or via an iPhone/iPad app.
- A free white cane, the basic tool for independent travel by the blind.
- A free slate and stylus, the basic tools for writing Braille.
- The National Federation of the Blind Independence Market, which offers hundreds of products especially designed for the blind.
- Thirty national scholarships, totaling over $100,000, for outstanding blind students, as well as other scholarships through our state affiliates.
- Innovative programs for blind children and youth, including the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) program for beginning Braille readers and a number of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs especially designed for blind students of all ages.
- And much more!
But the most important reason to join the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is that we need your time, your talents, your hands, your heart, and your dreams. In short, we need you!
How do I join the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa?
The best way to become a member of the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa is to join your local chapter. That way, you’ll meet blind people in your community and learn about the organization, too. You can find your nearest chapter by contacting affiliate president Scott Van Gorp at 515-720-5282 or email@example.com. You can also find your nearest local chapter by visiting our chapters page or by downloading the free NFB Connect iPhone app from Apple’s App Store. If there’s not a chapter near you, your state affiliate may have an at-large chapter that meets by conference call or other ways for you to get involved. You can also join one of our special-interest divisions , there’s a list of them at www.nfbi.org/divisions.
How can I support the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa?
You can send a donation to the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa, P.O. Box 93071, Des Moines, IA 50393. You can also learn about other ways to support the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa by visiting www.nfbi.org/contribution-opportunities.